Monday, November 28, 2011

My dad

Im coming to realize that my father may be dying... I don't know how much of this is true, but my step-mom says his behavior has made a ratical change here lately... my brother and him got into a very nasty no holds barred argument a couple weeks ago and i thought that would never happen... My brother, Jake has been the biggest supporter of my dad for the last 11 almost 12 years... And he went balls out on my dad and every other member of the Army... It is almost not fair.. my dad does have a lot to say when it comes to the subject of my mother, but let's be realistic.. she has her fair share of opinions when it comes to my dad.. She'll tell you he was never there for me or my brother and that we were neglected as children and made to eat steak and fries every night... hell my brother will tell you that... but every one seems to forget the goolash we ate or the spaghetti or my dad's famous chili... no we didn't have variety in our foods we ate for dinner... but we did eat every night,... And let me be the first to say if I could eat steak every night I would.. I throughly enjoy a nice cut of beef seasoned the right way and cooked to perfection! But I understand that having that every night doesn't always give you the nutrition you might need. But aside from dinner,  what did he really do wrong??? He made it to some of my softball games and most of Jake's baseball games... No he never showed up for girl scouts but that was my mom's job. He got on to me about my grades.. he grounded me if i came close to failing!!!!! My mom didn't do that... she just kinda shrugged it off..

He made us get in the tub every night... I remember one specific night that I was watching wrestling with my dad at the computer (his favorite spot).. and he told me to go take a bath, I thought i was so smart and went into my room and changed my clothes... got my hair wet in my bathroom and sat on my bed for 5 min... trying to let a suffient amount of time pass to go back out to the living room... well needless to say that in minute 2 he walked into my room and there i was sitting on my bed with wet spots on my shirt and no indication of taking a bath, except my damp hair.. Needless to say I got in trouble and he made me take a bath with his supervision.

No, we didn't get to do a lot of things kids do, we had chores and responsibilites from a young age.. but that's how my daddy was raised.. My grandad bought things to eat that he knew no one liked so no one would snack through the day.. my dad didn't do that.. No we couldn't have soda but I don't let my kids drink soda either. Juice is good, Milk is better!

Now you must be wondering where my mom was during all of this... well she was working.. She went to work at 11 am and didn't get home till after we were in bed... and she would be sleeping when we left for school in the morning.. She worked in Nashville at the Opryland Hotel. I remember mon-fri I would only see my mom if i went to tell her good-bye when i went to school in the morning. Don't get this twisted this is not a blog about what my mother did wrong, or how she wasn't always there.. neither was my dad.. from ages 12-22 my dad didn't have a lot to do with me..

I asked my dad to attend my first play in high school... A Christmas Carol! And he came, but some kind of drama occured before the show and my dad left.. I still to this day don't know exactly what happened, but some of it had to do with my mom and some had to do with my step-dad.. and some had to do with my dad. But the saddest part about it is, that I was the one that was hurt that day! Whatever! Anyways..

I don't know what is going on with my dad, but unless i change the day i'm getting married my dad will not be able to attend.. My step-brothers are coming home from Iraq/Afganistan on the same day, And i understand his need/want to be there for them.. but i wish just once i could come before anybody else!

Bottomline-----------------------------------------------
I love my dad
I love my mom

And I'd rather not speak about one with the other.. it only creates drama...


klajo

No comments:

Post a Comment